Originated in 1911 and originally known as Union Irrigation District and over the years changing its name to Hidalgo-Willacy Counties Water Control and Improvement District No.1, Willacy County Water Control and Improvement District No. 1 and in 1980 it became Delta Lake Irrigation District (DLID or the District) operating under Chapter 58, Title 4, Texas Water Code and under Article XVI, Section 59 of the Constitution of Texas. The District is within 62 miles from the Rio Grande River-U.S. Mexican border making it the only source of water for the district to divert for irrigation, municipal and domestic use within the district boundaries. The District’s main landmark is Delta Lake Reservoir, with the capacity of 10,669 acre-feet of water and a surface area of 2,371 acres. The reservoir was constructed in 1938 for the storage of water diverted from the Rio Grande River to regulate and assure adequacy of water for irrigation requirements. The reservoir assures a more reliable availability of water to meet the District’s needs, considering the four-day travel time from Falcon Reservoir. The reservoir is divided by a roadway (FM 88) into the West Reservoir (smallest) and East Reservoir (largest). The District currently serves 69,500 acres and diverts municipal water to the City of Raymondville, La Sara, Monte Alto and the City of Lyford.
February Board Meeting has been rescheduled for Wed., February 24, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.